Les Ferdinand has confirmed Queens Park Rangers have rejected bids from Leicester City and Crystal Palace for striker Charlie Austin.It is believed a deal worth around £15million will see the Super Hoops allowed the 26-year-old to leave Loftus Road.But Ferdinand revealed no more bids have been made for the player following moves from the Canaries and the Foxes.“We’ve had no more bids but people have enquired,” he told the Sports Bar.“I’ve seen lots of things in the newspapers but we’ve only had to firm bids come in for Charlie, but they weren’t acceptable to the club. Leicester was one and Crystal Palace was the other.“They weren’t well below the £15million but there were offers of players and swap deals. Like I say, they weren’t acceptable to the club.”And Ferdinand applauded the player’s commitment to the club while he is surrounded by speculation.He added: “It’s great to see Charlie’s got his head down and got on with it. Two goals in his first three games is great for him.”
Chelsea players look dejected 1 Chelsea’s poor start to the season shows no sign of ending – and football fans love it!The Blues fell to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Stoke on Saturday evening, even though they managed to put in an improved performance.The loss sees them drop to 16th position after garnering just 11 points from 12 games so far, and supporters of teams like Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea have been laughing about it on social media.See what Chelsea’s rivals have been saying on Twitter below…
4 4 The team will need to adapt quickly to the absence of attacking talisman Dimitri Payet – out for three months with ankle ligament damage. Fixtures will come thick and fast over the festive period, but their goalkeeper is prepared to scrap for every point.“I think there is a lot of motivation to play against big teams and beat them,” he says. “We have shown that in some great performances away from home. If there is one thing we need to improve, it is to take the same approach in the other games against teams level or below us.“The league is long and you play against everyone. If we want to finish towards the top, we need to get results against everybody.”Adrian takes great care over each sentence, which adds purpose to his final note. Fully adjusted to life on these shores, this adopted Londoner is fiercely proud to be representing his new home. 4 West Ham ace Adrian 4 “They checked again when Darren [Randolph] came to the club. I said no again. I wanted to keep my number 13. The number on the back of the shirt doesn’t matter. It does not mean anything out on the pitch.”The tale fits with Adrian’s intriguing backstory. This is a determined man who enjoys upsetting the odds. After seven seasons in the reserves at Real Betis, his progress stalled by a cruciate ligament injury, a La Liga debut came only three years ago as a substitute against Malaga, after a red card for first choice Casto. Down to ten men, Betis lost 4-0. Without a string of saves from man-of-the-match Adrian, they might have shipped eight.Sounding BoardLater in the same campaign, Sam Allardyce travelled to Spain and offered the out-of-contract Andalucian an opportunity to play at Upton Park. He had a decorated compatriot and former Premier League favourite on hand for advice.“I talked with Pepe Reina before signing,” Adrian says. “He told me that if I had a chance to come here, to a historic club like West Ham, I shouldn’t think of anything else.“Pepe told me the football was slightly different. As a goalkeeper, you need to be alert all the time for shots from long distance. Over here, players try to score from far out. In Spain, they try to work a position closer to the box.“The other thing is aerial balls. In Spain, referees will blow for a free-kick if anyone touches you. Here, other players are given more of a chance. You need to be strong in your area.”Speaking enthusiastically about his new life on these shores, Adrian cuts a contented figure. He married long-term girlfriend Tamara in the summer and signed a contract extension at the start of October. On committing his future to West Ham until 2017, the 28-year-old cited a “special relationship” with the fans as a significant factor.Undeniably, the Hammers faithful have taken Adrian to heart. Performances are one reason – earlier this year Spain coach Vicente del Bosque asked assembled journalists: “Why is nobody asking me about West Ham’s goalkeeper?” – but passion also contributes to his popularity.Adrian describes himself as a player who “enjoys every minute of every game, and shows it too”. Prolific on Twitter, switching between Spanish and English, he also maintains interaction with supporters away from the Boleyn Ground.Penalty KingAbove all, one night has etched his name into modern West Ham folklore. Back in January, an FA Cup third round replay against Everton ended 2-2 after extra-time and went to penalties. Adrian dived left to save from Steven Naismith, but Stewart Downing’s miss at 4-4 meant the goalkeepers were, after a host of further successful conversions, required to take spot-kicks. This interview appears in the current edition of Sport magazine. Download the free iPad app from here, and follow on twitter @sportmagukHis Seville accent remains pronounced, but Adrian San Miguel del Castillo’s grasp of English has developed impressively since he joined West Ham in June 2013. In 15 minutes of lucid conversation with Sport, only one word causes the rangy goalkeeper to consult his patient translator.“It’s a…” Adrian begins, before breaking off and leaning right. “Como se dice ‘anécdota’?”The translator grins: “Anecdote. It’s just the same.”Magic NumberSlaven Bilic’s preferred shot-stopper, a mainstay of the Hammers’ early-season surge into the Premier League’s top six – interrupted slightly by last Sunday’s battering at the hands of Tottenham – had been explaining why he chooses to wear 13 on his back.“It is a long reason,” he says. “From playing in the academy at Real Betis, I always had number 13. When my contract finished there, I had been at the same club for almost 16 years.“I also wore a yellow jersey with Betis. In Spain, 13 is an unlucky number and yellow is an unlucky colour. Both together should be really unlucky, but not for me. My last season went very well.“When I arrived at West Ham, they asked me if I wanted number one because Jussi Jaaskelainen had 22. I replied: ‘No, I’d like 13.’ Everybody said ‘wow’. Everton’s Joel Robles went for power. His shot cannoned off the bar. Adrian was up. He marked out a long approach; so long, in fact, that there was time to hurl his gloves to the ground during a shuffling run-up. Rather than blasting it, though, Adrian passed the ball into the left corner (above), sending his opposite man the wrong way and causing Upton Park to erupt.“That is probably my best memory at West Ham; certainly the most famous,” he says now. “I enjoyed my save a lot, and then to score a winning penalty was unbelievable.“I felt very confident in that moment, and took off my gloves. It was an instinctive movement, but I was thinking: ‘I have finished my job in goal, now I enjoy my strike like an outfield player.’ I will remember that moment for the whole of my career.”Fresh PerspectiveHaving featured in victories over Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea since August, Adrian is building an enviable portfolio. He is also in a prime position to pinpoint the change in approach Bilic has encouraged from the Allardyce days.“The big difference is their mentality of football,” he explains. “Football is a big thing. There is not just one style. You can play however you want as long as you get results.“With Sam, we were more direct – straight to the goal and crossing a lot. Now, with Slaven, we are different. We try to keep possession of the ball and play it out from the back.“I didn’t know Slaven when he played here before and showed so much passion on the pitch. With us, he is quiet and calm. He tries hard to get across his ideas, and I think the team has adapted well to that.”
The match certainly will not go down in folklore, as there were very few chances before the Rangers captain’s late header 1 Nedum Onuoha hit a late winner to make Reading pay for profligacy in front of goal as QPR recorded a 1-0 win at the Madejski Stadium.It was most probably Neil Warnock’s last game in charge of the Hoops as Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is expected to be named as Rangers’ new manager on Friday. Warnock will hand over the reins after back-to-back victories.The hosts had chances to win the game but failed to really test Rob Green and they were made to pay when Onuoha headed home Alejandro Faurlin’s corner but Royals goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi should really have done better.The win sees QPR move up to 11th place, just two points outside the play-off places, whilst Reading missed the opportunity to climb into the top-six.The first half was a quiet affair with QPR dominating the opening spell of possession but it was Reading who had the best of the chances.Rangers’ best attempt came from Canadian winger Junior Hoilett after he broke through the Royals defence but he could only fire straight at keeper Al Habsi.Former Blackpool winger Matty Phillips was a consistent threat for QPR after the break, linking well with Hoilett on the wing and causing the Reading defence headaches with his direct approach.The home side had a clear chance to go ahead just before the hour mark when a corner found the head of captain Michael Hector but he couldn’t keep the ball down and it sailed narrowly over the bar.And moments later the Royals came within an inch of taking the lead when a superb free-kick from Nick Blackman had Green beaten but the bal lgame back off the crossbar.And Reading’s wastefulness was prove costly when QPR went ahead with just a minute left on the clock.Faurlin delivered a dangerous corner into the box and Onuoha met it at the far post with a downward header that Al-Habsi fumbled into the net.Boos echoed around the ground at the final whistle as Reading’s poor run was extended to just one win in eight.
Russel Slade Cardiff have been placed under a Sky Bet Football League transfer embargo for a breach of Financial Fair Play rules.The embargo will be in place for the rest of the January transfer window and will see them lose out on a permanent deal for £1million target Tony Watt, although the Charlton striker’s loan deal could be extended after their Championship visit to Wolves on Saturday.Cardiff, who were relegated from the Barclays Premier League at the end of the 2013-14 season, say they “have complied with the FFP requirements for season 2014-15 – contrary to the League’s position”.Bluebirds boss Russell Slade has significantly reduced playing costs since being appointed in October 2014, with the club’s biggest earners having been moved on.“Whilst extremely disappointed that the Football League has decided to take this action, we will remain co-operative and compliant with the League’s position in respect of Financial Fair Play,” said a Cardiff statement.“Having fully disclosed all matters in respect of our FFP position for 2014-15 and having taken independent expert advice, it is our firmly-held view that Cardiff City Football Club has indeed complied with the FFP requirements for season 2014-15 -contrary to the League’s position.“As such, further advice will be sought, prior to a decision being made internally as to whether or not an appeal will be lodged.“The embargo, now in place (albeit subject to possible appeal), will stay in effect for the remainder of the January 2016 transfer window.“Cardiff City Football Club again expects to trade within the set FFP limits for 2015/16 and therefore anticipates full participation in the summer 2016 transfer window.” 1
Chelsea could be without striker Diego Costa for their next Premier League clash against Arsenal 1 Diego Costa is a doubt for Chelsea’s upcoming Premier League clash with Arsenal.The Brazil-born striker was forced off during the 3-3 draw with Everton, and he could consequently miss out on the trip to the Emirates Stadium.The injury may not be as serious as first feared, with the Blues confirming the 27-year-old has bruised his shin, rather than fracturing his tibia, yet it is now a waiting game to see if he recovers in time.The defending champions could therefore be without their first choice centre forward against a side looking for revenge after their 2-0 defeat in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.So, who do Chelsea fans what to see lead the attack should Costa be ruled out of action?Find out below…
Neil Redfearn Neil Redfearn has left his post as manager of Rotherham United.The 50-year-old departs with the Millers sitting 22nd in the Championship table, two points adrift of safety.Redfearn was only appointed in October, having been brought in as a replacement for Steve Evans.He won just five of his 21 games, losing 14, with their latest defeats coming against relegation rivals Charlton and Bolton.Rotherham chairman Tony Stewart commented: “It is with a heavy heart that we’ve parted company with Neil today.“As we all know football is a results driven business and with 16 games to go our aim has to be to retain our Championship status.“Everyone at the club wishes Neil well with his future career and thank him for his efforts and endeavour.“Our focus now is 100% behind appointing a first team manager as soon as possible.” 1
Charlie Daniels [right] in action for Bournemouth 1 Bournemouth defender Charlie Daniels has signed a new contract with the club.The left-back has been a regular under Eddie Howe this season, starting 25 Premier League games for the Cherries.And now the 29-year-old has been rewarded for his fine form with a new three-and-a-half-year deal.“Charlie has been a model of consistency for me this season,” Howe told Bournemouth’s website.“He has been very, very impressive and really set the marker for us. Not only on matchdays but also in training.“He deserves this deal and hopefully it’s another step towards what will be a successful season for us.”
SALES: Japanese firm shows drop in third quarter, but analysts say high gas prices give it long-term advantage. By Yuri Kageyama THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOKYO – Toyota said Monday it sold 2.34 million vehicles globally in the July-to-September quarter, fewer than General Motors’ tally, as its U.S. rival regained the lead in the race to be the world’s top automaker. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Toyota Motor Corp.’s worldwide vehicle sales for the first nine months of this year – at 7.05 million vehicles – also fell short of Detroit-based General Motors Corp.’s sales of 7.06 million vehicles for the same period. But the numbers Toyota released Monday show the Japanese automaker running neck-and-neck against General Motors, which sold 2.38 million vehicles in the third quarter. Toyota beat GM in global vehicle sales in the first half of the year, riding on its reputation for high quality, low-mileage small cars such as the Camry, Corolla and gas-electric hybrid Prius. Some analysts say it’s a matter of time before the Japanese automaker – which built its business in the decades after World War II by imitating American automakers – will close in on GM. Toyota’s global vehicle sales for the latest quarter grew 4 percent from the same period a year ago, while sales for the first nine months of the year grew 7 percent. “With oil prices rising, Toyota has the advantage in the long run,” said Yoshihiro Okumura, auto analyst at Chibagin Asset Management Co. “Toyota is making a dash to the top.” Toyota has been in a slight lapse in introducing new models, but its momentum for growth is picking up as it comes out with new offerings, Okumura said. New models tend to boost sales, and some drivers hold off on purchases until a product is remodeled. In August, Toyota set a global sales target of 10.4 million vehicles for 2009 – a number that would put it far ahead of the industry record of 9.55 million vehicles sold by GM in 1978. GM is fiercely fighting back against Toyota by boosting overseas sales. GM has worn the industry crown of No. 1 automaker for 76 years. Soaring gas prices have helped to lift Toyota’s sales, but it saw its U.S. sales dip slightly last month, partly because of a record set in the same month a year earlier. Toyota is lowering its sales target in Japan for this year because of a stagnant market, but it has said that better-than-expected demand in other overseas markets will offset the domestic decline. GM, which has been trimming jobs and cutting costs, reported last week that third-quarter global sales rose 4 percent to 2.38million cars and trucks, led by increases in emerging markets outside the U.S. Toyota reported selling 4.72million vehicles during the first half of the year compared with GM’s 4.67 million. GM still led Toyota in vehicles produced worldwide during the first half of the year. Toyota and its group companies produced 4.71 million vehicles in the first half, inching up to GM’s 4.75million vehicles. The race is about more than the number of cars people are buying. GM’s profitability falls far short of Toyota, which is rich in cash to invest in technology research and model development. GM’s second-quarter net income totaled $891 million, mostly from overseas operations. It was the third straight quarter of profit, and a dramatic reversal from the $3.4 billion loss it posted in the same period last year. For the April-June period, Toyota raked in earnings of $4.27billion, its biggest quarterly profit ever. A recent study of industry costs and profits by Laurie Harbour-Felax found GM made $2,123 less per vehicle than Toyota in 2006 in North America. Toyota, the most profitable of all automakers on a per-vehicle basis, increased its profit per vehicle from $1,175 in 2005 to $1,977 in 2006, the report said. GM is losing money for every vehicle sold in North America but lowered that loss to $146 in 2006 from $1,271 in 2005, mostly because of cost reductions, including thousands of job cuts, it said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Nicklas Bendtner Former Arsenal forward Nicklas Bendtner has had his contract terminated by Wolfsburg.Bendtner joined the German side on a free transfer in 2014 but was suspended by the club following a number of disciplinary incidents this season, including being fined for oversleeping and missing training.And now the Dane is a free agent after Wolfsburg finally reached an agreement with his agent to end his miserable spell at the Bundesliga club.“Both Nicklas and ourselves had high hopes of his engagement at VfL Wolfsburg,” said Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs.“But after two years, we have had to ascertain that the expectations were neither fulfilled for him nor for us and a continued cooperation made no sense for either side.“For that reason, the mutual decision to end our association prematurely is thus the best solution for all parties.“We wish Nicklas all the very best for his future career.” 1